[postgis-devel] WKTRaster: RASTER and CHIP

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 06:19:54 PST 2009

strk wrote:

> Fair enough.
> What about hosting it under the extras/ dir ?
>
> --strk;

The main issue I can see is that we are trying to work hard to stabilise
PostGIS by enforcing a policy of no API changes in point releases, and I
think committing the WKTRaster work directly into the PostGIS will break
what we are trying to achieve.

Since development is so new, I can see APIs changing rapidly and hence I
think it would actually hold WKTRaster progress back by being restricted
to the PostGIS release schedule. Otherwise you would be on the hook for
bug fixing existing releases, and API changes would have to wait until
the next minor release which could be a long time.

I honestly think that WKTRaster would be better hosted as a separate
project until it reaches some form of maturity, since then you are free
from any of these restrictions. Maybe a separate branch in the PostGIS
repo would also work, although it would put a lot more work on your
shoulders to correct the merge conflicts. I have absolutely no problem
with discussions related to the project/release announcements appearing
on the project mailing lists either.

What I believe will happen is that as the project progresses, it will
soon mature to a steady state which should easily be determined by
feedback on the -users mailing lists. This is then the right time to
merge the code directly into the PostGIS codebase.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland