[postgis-devel] Function Naming

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 15:15:38 PST 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> One naming inconsistency you might have noted is that i've recommended
> renaming some ugly-named gist support functions to
> postgis_gist_compress, etc. But I also have some new functions for the
> aggregates, named like pgis_geometry_accum_finalfn(pgis_abs). Should I
> re-name my new pgis_ functions to use the fully spelled out
> "postgis_"? I am leaning that way.
>
> P.

The GiST support functions are related to an underlying type rather than
to the library. If you were to go with "postgis_gist_compress", what
would happen if someone were to code up an implementation of a new
geography type for PostGIS? I think "geometry_gist_compress" etc. would
be the way to go.

ATB,

Mark.

--