[postgis-devel] Issue 106 in postgis: pgsql2shp memory leak on WIndows

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Jan 28 18:04:54 PST 2009

Owner: ----

New issue 106 by krellor: pgsql2shp memory leak on WIndows
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=106

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Export NHD table to shp file using pgsql2shp.exe

After 3.1 million records exported the process fails giving a generic
fwrite() error.  The expected output is a shp file.

1.3.5 on 32bit Windows XP pro, and 32bit Windows Vista Business

I have a table that holds the flowline hydrography of Washington State.
When I export to shapefile on Windows XP the processes memory usage swells
to 1.6GB and then fails with a generic fwrite() error.  When I attach my
debugger to the running process I see a Heap Coruption error for every
single row exported.  I've looked at the source but don't see anything that
stands out as an error.  I tried re-building with cygwin changing it to be
more verbose, but ran into some problems.

On Windows Vista Business windows terminates the process on the first row,
presumably because it has stricter memory management than Windows XP, which
only fails when the system is out of memory.  On Windows XP I tried
breaking up the 4 million records across 4 tables, 1 million records each.
  I was able to successfully export them that way so I know it is not a
problem with the data.  And like I said, every single row exported throws a
Heap Corruption error.