[postgis-devel] Fwd: PostGIS 1.4

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 01:43:05 PDT 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Some issues on the soft upgrade, where the client soft upgrades an
> 8.3/1.3 database to 8.3/1.4, then dumps and restores into 8.4 to create
> an 8.4/1.4 database (seems like the most likely upgrade path, and the
> one we should recommend).
>
> These are aesthetic, the actual restore is good. I was thinking that
> since our PgSQL requirement is 8.2, we could add DROP IF EXISTS
> statements to the top of postgis.sql for the removed functions and then
> postgis_upgrade.sql would inherit them, and everything would work hunky
> dory.
>
> Thoughts?

I do like Regina's idea of creating a fresh 1.4 database, removing the
old 1.3 shared library and then letting the restore ignore the functions
that aren't present anymore. This seems to be a good way to finally get
a clean install if people have been doing constant upgrades.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk