[postgis-devel] Two Multipoint and Range Intersection

kevinridge kevinridge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 09:38:30 PDT 2009

Hello,
I have two multipoint fields (lets call them test1 and test2). I am
wondering how to compute an intersection between them but taking a range in
the middle.

For example, lets say test1 holds ('0 0, 1 0, 0 1, 1 1') and test2 holds ('0
0, 5 5')

Now when i do select intersection(test2.geom, test1.geom) it would give me
('0 0'). Is there a way i can specify the distance apart also for each
point?

So something like select intersection(test2.geom, test1.geom, 1) and it
would take each point in test1, extend its geometry by 1 and see if it
matches anything in test2. So it would return ('0 0, 1 0, 0 1')

I am basically trying to find everything that is similar in two multipoints
but at a distance apart (so its not right on top of each other). I tried
doing this with point but since point means i have to insert a row for each
new one, its really slow when adding like 5 million points.

Is there a better way than what i am doing? I am really new to postgis and
any help would be GREATLY appreciated :)