[postgis-devel] SRID / Spheroid / Units

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Jul 21 23:43:53 PDT 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I am assuming that the GEOGRAPHY type will include an SRID and that if
> one is not defined, WGS84 parameters will be assumed. Unlike GEOMETRY,
> any measuring operation (length, distance, area) against a GEOGRAPHY is
> going to need to know the spheroid parameters in order to return an
> answer, which implies a spatial_ref_sys lookup.
>
> I am not fond of the idea of having to do a lookup, because it's going
> to have to happen so often. Particularly for some well-known values, I'd
> like to short-circuit that process. Unfortunately that cuts against the
> grain of the spatial_ref_sys concept, which is that the srid numbers are
> in fact internal to the database, and not universal (srid 4326 could be
> anything, it's not guaranteed to be WGS84). Any advice or guidance?
> Maintain the pristine theoretical underpinnings of spatial_ref_sys, or
> bow to the universal use we have promoted, which is to expect the values
> in spatial_ref_sys.sql (and hence, EPSG numberings) to prevail.
>
> P.

I really don't think this will be an issue, as it's exactly the same
principle as the PROJ.4 cache - so only one lookup per SRID is required
per query. So I'd say go ahead with allowing a SRID to be specified for
the geography type. I suspect the hardest part will be parsing the
sphreoid text into some kind of internal structure...

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk