[postgis-devel] Windows builds

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Tue Jun 30 06:41:00 PDT 2009

Regina,

So if I understand well:

There is one binary build of WKT Raster for PostgreSQL 8.3 under
http://postgis.refractions.net/download/windows/pg83/experimental/

There is one binary build of WKT Raster for PostgreSQL 8.4 under
http://postgis.refractions.net/download/windows/pg84/experimental/

The first one stand alone (or is the side PostGIS built specially for
WKT Raster?)

The second one goes with a special version of PostGIS (or is it the
official build?)

Normally there should be no special build of PostGIS for WKT Raster
since WKT Raster should be independent and installable over most PostGIS
versions. The first build structure would then be better as long as WKT
Raster is not fully integrated with PostGIS (this seems far to me since,
as you said, the development pace is very different). It is then
important to make sure that WKT Raster is not dependent on any (AFAP)
PostGIS build.

We link with PostGIS for only one function. I haven't test much but I am
pretty sure that the way WKT Raster is built right now makes it to work
with PostGIS 1.3.5, 1.3.6 and 1.4. If not, then we will have to get rid
of the link dependency (by implementing the only dependent function
(st_raster_envelope() in PL/PGSQL)...

We might rely on PostGIS 1.4 because of some building tools dependency
but the code itself should not and it should run with most versions of
PostGIS.

Does this make sence?

Pierre