[postgis-devel] Issue 93 in postgis: ST_Extent() and ST_Estimated_Extent() return BOX2DFLOAT4s

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sun Mar 8 14:40:04 PDT 2009

Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 93 by mark.cav... at siriusit.co.uk: ST_Extent() and
ST_Estimated_Extent() return BOX2DFLOAT4s
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=93

Fix committed to SVN trunk.

Changing the aggregate function from BOX2DFLOAT4 to BOX3D is the easy part,
since the
routines already exist for ST_Extent3D(). The hard part is that if we use a
box3d to
output the extent, then we would change the output from:

BOX(x y, x y)

to:

BOX3D(x y z, x y z)

Since this string is likely parsed by client applications, we need a way to
preserve
the output format. I've done this by introducing a new SQL type called
box3d_extent
which is only used by ST_Extent() that uses the same output formats. This
is only a
temporary hack until we move to the next major version...

ST_Estimated_Extent() we are not too worried about the accuracy since it is
based on
sampling so I have left this - but when we change the format for
ST_Extent() in the
future, we should do the same here too.