[postgis-devel] Compilation using Visual C++ 8.0

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Mar 10 14:53:13 PDT 2009

Folks,

I'm glad to report that I managed to compile (not build) PostGIS
source code (r3848) using Microsoft Visual C++ 8.0 (VS 2005).
Here is complete compiler output:

http://mateusz.loskot.net/tmp/postgis/postgis-r3848-msvc-build.log

As dependencies providers, I used
- PROJ.4 4.6.1 from OSGeo4W
- GEOS built from SVN trunk
- Source code of PostgreSQL 8.3.6

As I emphasized, I managed to compile the code, not to do complete
build. I compiled liblwgeom and postgis to static libraries.
I've not tried yet to build postgis to DLL and link everything against
PROJ.4/GEOS/PostgreSQL.

Here is patch that includes:
1) 3 projects Visual Studio 2005: bootstrap, liblwgeom, postgis
2) stdint.h and inttypes.h from http://code.google.com/p/msinttypes/
3) Small fixes in PostGIS code

http://mateusz.loskot.net/tmp/postgis/postgis-r3848-msvc-build.patch

Next step is to change postgis.vcproj to build DLL and try to link a
proper run-time binary.

Best regards,