[postgis-devel] Geog/Geom Hack

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon Nov 2 02:25:05 PST 2009

Havard,

Good points. You stated my concerns better than I could.

I see the benefit of having these functions and even think we should have
them linked in our documentation, but I don't want to "pollute" our
production waters with them.  So I would much prefer just a link to these
functions as a separate thing people can improve on.  As Nicklas and I think
Steve mentioned -- use it almost like a tutorial to demonstrate how you can
expand on the functionality of geography and see how people improve on it.

the problem with putting it in our production code is
a) People will see it as a black box and won't bother to look behind the
covers and then they'll be disappointed when they run into issues and think
the whole geography datatype is a hack.
b) With our new policy of release, we won't be able to make patches to it or
add new ones until the next minor.  Which to me puts novices at a great
disadvantage.
c) I don't feel we know absolutely the best way of doing these even from a
hack point of view and I would like to see what others come up with as
solutions.

The geography functions we have in place are really spectacular I think.
They do the right thing - they measure around a sphere/spheroid and use a
more advanced spatial index (though just WGS84 for this first release).
Sure they don't do everything, but they satisfy the number one need of many
people -  How do I figure out proximities, areas, lengths and get real
accurate distances with long lat data and still have full power of spatial

I would hate for people to think the whole thing is a hack by introducing
these things in what we call "production".

Thanks,
Regina