[postgis-devel] Geog/Geom Hack

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 06:05:24 PST 2009

Paragon Corporation wrote:

> I'm not really in disagreement with Paul.  I see his point too.  I'm
> just prodding him to think about all his use cases a little more because
> I don't feel he has.
>
> My feelings to sum up
> 1) We have not thought about the complete ramifications of this hack and
> I'm really concerned about the novice that transitions to an expert
> rather than just getting them hooked on PostGIS.  Perhaps I'm being
> overly silly with that and even said, Paul's approach might be an easier
> to transition solution.
>
> 2) My concern is the penalty of putting it in and having to take it out
> later might be very great (both from a code, testing,  as well as a
> mindset perspective).  I just feel it needs more thought and testing and
> really if we want to make our December deadline, I don't want it rushed
> in so lightly.

I agree with Regina here: I'd be a bit nervous about creating a whole
set of functions based on a UTM hack that hasn't been field-tested. I
think I'd like to see one or two functions based upon the geography type
which make use of the hack in 1.5, and then if the feedback is good,
roll it out to other functions in a later release.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk