[postgis-devel] Geom/Geog Hack Plan

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Nov 3 03:22:56 PST 2009

Nicklas,
Well actually we wouldn't change it in a micro release.  Yes I agree
changing output in the micro release is probably a no no.

We'd change it in a minor or major release (proably major in this case in
2.0).  As far as naming goes yes that is the basic argument.  That if we
replace the function with a real one.  The real one will do "more the right
thing" than the old.  So in essense it would be treated like a bug fix
rather than a mere change of behavior.

That does bring up the question of:
Is the right answer the one you are expecting or the one you expect.

(are expecting meaning the one you are used to vs. you expect (without any
prior expectations of behavior))

For example in SQL 1/2 => 0 (both PostgreSQL and SQL Server and a lot of
relational databases behave this way by the way)

But if I change the behavior to suddenly return  0.5 (like MySQL does)

Do people consider it wrong because it is no longer the expected answer of
0, but from a mathematical point of view, it is the one you expect.

Thanks,
Regina

  _____