[postgis-devel] Tickets

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Sat Nov 7 02:50:25 PST 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Trying to clean down the tickets so we can get to a release state for
> 1.4.1 and 1.5.0 I'm struck my how many I'm just going to have to push
> out to the next version. And the next. And the next.
>
> There is a category of things that are "nice to have" that everyone
> agrees are "nice to have" but yet never rise to the threshold of
> someone actually *doing* them, and that list of things only grows and
> grows and grows.
>
> Kevins PIP enhancement http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/75
> Support for anonymous geometry collections in predicates
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/256
>
> Both of these I examined and thought about the amount of new code and
> code complexity cost was involved versus the amount of new
> functionality, and put them aside again. And I'm the one most able to
> do those tickets, in terms of experience with those bits. So are they
> going to get done? Do we have the bloody-mindedness to drown the
> kittens we don't want to keep?
>
> I don't want to end up like Mapserver, with several hundred unclosed
> tickets, being punted along year after year. I think if an enhancement
> doesn't get done in two years, it should be closed out. There's a
> threshold for defects probably too, though much higher.
>
> P.

I think the problem here is that people are using trac to store things
that aren't bugs, such as feature requests and enhancements. For sanity
purposes, it would make much more sense to start discussions on -devel
rather than just blindly filing a ticket. Then if we decide it's valid,
that's the point at which we can ticket it.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk