[postgis-devel] Tickets

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Nov 11 14:57:05 PST 2009

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> I think the problem here is that people are using trac to store
> things that aren't bugs, such as feature requests and enhancements.
> For sanity purposes, it would make much more sense to start
> discussions on -devel rather than just blindly filing a ticket. Then
> if we decide it's valid, that's the point at which we can ticket it.

Is it related to sanity of PostGIS Trac in general or postgis component
only? What's wrong with having non-bug tickets archived for long(er)
time, for example [1] ?

The front page says: "This Trac instance is used for bug, enhancement &
task tracking". Also, there are corresponding ticket types available.

For WKT Raster, I've recently started submitting tasks from our roadmap
as tickets on Trac, as preparation for development works, because:
- tickets can be assigned, then it's clear who does what
- tickets draw a timeline of development, past and future
- tickets archive discussion on particular topic on single page,
  it's easier to keep it focused, so clear to reader and maintainer
- tickets directly link to events in source tree
Does the sanity thing mean we should stop using Trac for the purposes
described above?

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/227

Best regards,