[postgis-devel] closed surfaces, volum or just closed surface

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Tue Aug 17 04:35:36 PDT 2010

Olivier in #568 you write:"As a consequence closed surface (so volume) have a 0 perimeter value return" Is it so. Isn't it nessecary to be able to describe a closed survace without handling it as a volum or polyhedron?I mean like a closed linestring. Sometimes you just want a closed linestring not a polygon. I thought this was to opff topic in #568 so I put it in a separate post. Does the spec say anything about this? The difference shows for example when we measure distance from a closed survace/volum to a point inside it. If it is a volum the distance is 0 if it is just a closed surface there is a distance to calculate to the closest facet. /Nicklas