[postgis-devel] How does copyright work and how to credit.

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun Dec 12 21:53:19 PST 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Nicklas Avén
<nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no> wrote:
> But what do you mean by continuing under own copyright
> Am I supposed to edit the header? I have just copied some other header
> when I made the file, 3dmeasures.c.

Yes, add (c) you, 2010

> What does it mean to have the copyright? Doesn't the code belong to
> PostGIS and everybody?

The code you write belongs to you. However, you generously license it
to the rest of us under the terms of the GPL. This has the effect of
making your ownership relatively meaningless from a practical point of
view (you've relinquished most of your control) but does not
extinguish it.

> Everyone has the right to copy, or?
> And the copyright note in the header how should it be used? I mean there
> is a lot of contributors in many of the files.
> I have not thought about it, but what is copyright in an open source
> project. Is there some text about it, somewhere?

>From "What is Copyleft", http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/

"To copyleft a program, we first state that it is copyrighted; then we
add distribution terms, which are a legal instrument that gives
everyone the rights to use, modify, and redistribute the program's
code, or any program derived from it, but only if the distribution
terms are unchanged. Thus, the code and the freedoms become legally
inseparable."

By starting from a position of strength (we assert our copyright
rights to the property) we can provide strong freedoms in the form of
a license that provides for perpetual freedom to copy and
redistribute.

That's the FSF point of view anyways, and since we're a GPL project,
might as well use it :)

Paul