[postgis-devel] Adding Functions w/o Adding

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Fri Jan 22 14:53:08 PST 2010

All,

I have a client who needs a custom function added. Since we're well into release, obviously the SQL API can't change, or really any code in underneath any existing SQL functions.
However, I can implement the function as a completely additive thing (and in fact have), so it affects the stability of existing functions not at all. And I can leave the SQL API alone, and simple ship the CREATE FUNCTION code directly to the client.

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/attachment/ticket/390/addmeasure.patch

They get the benefit of a quick turnaround on a new feature, we maintain our contract with respect to leaving the API unchanged through minor releases.
I'd like to apply this patch into stable branches so folks who want it can have it, by running the CREATE FUNCTION code themselves.

Paul

--
Paul Ramsey
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org