[postgis-devel] topology.sql distribution

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 03:07:40 PDT 2010

strk wrote:

>> ii) Creating documentation for the PostGIS manual. I don't see how
>> anyone can use it at the moment since it is entirely undocumented. We
>> should probably mark it as beta quality too.
>
> topology/README should be pretty much complete in describing what's
> currently available. IIRC the postgis wiki should contain some more pages.

Sure. But it would need to be migrated in DocBook format (as per the
standard docs), and also additional chapters would be required for
Topology introduction, Quickstart tutorial etc.

>> iii) Maintenance. Who will be responsible for maintaining this part of
>> the code longer term?
>
> I'm willing to take this.

Cool :)

>> Also, do TopoGeometries required their own PostgreSQL type in the longer
>> term? Or is the specification simply a set of tables and joins?
>
> There's a PostgreSQL type defined by SQL (TopoGeometry).
> A factory function for it was in the standard:
>    Topo-Geo and Topo-Net 3: Routine Details
>    X.3.18(ST_CreateTopoGeo)
>
> What was in the standard and what not seems to be documented in the
> SQL file itself for each function/block (topology/topology.sql.in.c)
>
> --strk;

Okay - so it looks like we need to rename the functions have an ST_
prefix aswell as generating a new internal type. In summary, there is
still a lot of work to be done here.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS