[postgis-devel] help

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Tue May 18 10:53:34 PDT 2010

Hi Jhonys,
This is a development list.  Such questions might be more appropriate
for the postgis-users list.

In any case, in response to your question, think of a schema as a
directory or folder.  The public schema or folder, is really just like
any other schema, except that it's named "public" and by default is
available to everyone.

Just like when you create a new folder in Windows, (or any other OS for
that matter), the folder is not automatically populated with all the
data in an adjacent folder.  You would need to copy the data from one
folder into another.

May I ask why you want to duplicate the contents of the public schema?
You might be interested rather in postgresql's concept of a search_path
[1]?  By issuing a statement like this
SET search_path TO xpto, public;
you would still be able to reference all your functions that live in the
public schema.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1]