[postgis-devel] measures test fail

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Sun Oct 24 07:53:33 PDT 2010

It seems like m and z snapping is implemented  at the "version 4" (in
doc) of the function, when a point is used to define the origin of the
grid cell. Bu tin the more common ST_Snaptogrid(geometry, size_of_grid)
there is no snapping to m and z.

In lwgeom_functions_analytic.c there is a comment on line 790

	/* Do not support gridding Z and M values for now */
	grid.ipz=grid.ipm=grid.zsize=grid.msize=0;

The problem now if we want those other version to also snap z and m is
that we will have to mess up the order of arguments in some way.

In the documentation
http://postgis.org/documentation/manual-1.5/ST_SnapToGrid.html

The version of the ordinary snaptogrid function with all arguments
have this form:
ST_SnapToGrid(geometry geomA, float originX, float originY, float sizeX,
float sizeY);

so, where to put z and m arguments?
to not change the old ones we have to put them in the end. But to follow
the form from before we out to have the originZ and originM before,
sizeX

Any ideas?

/Nicklas