[postgis-devel] liblwgeom.so, install-liblwgeom, uninstall-liblwgeom

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 09:47:30 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland <
mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/08/11 18:57, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>

>> Note that all postgis users (raster, postgis, cunit) are linking against
>> the static (not shared) library.
>>

> I've just taken a look at this, and I think that if we're going to switch
> from static to dynamic then we might as well just do it. Otherwise we're not
> going to get the testing we require.

I had issues trying to link to a not-yet-installed dynamic library. It
appears that (on Linux anyway), moving a shared library after you've linked
to it is bad karma. I think his solution of linking against a static library
for all postgis consumers and offering a shared library for outsiders is the
only workable solution I can see.

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1058#comment:8

It may be best to record problems/progress on ticket #1133. While it
involves the creation of a library of "common postgresql-aware code", the
exact same issues are encountered in both cases.

Bryce