[postgis-devel] Common Code

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Mon Aug 8 09:55:32 PDT 2011

We actually need two pieces of common code now.

- liblwgeom, which is already there, and Sandro is cleansing, is
common to geometry, raster, loader dumper, even the documentation
builder!
- postgis, which is what we currently call geometry/geography should
be an agnostic place were we have some utilities for caching call
information between calls (used by projection, prepared geometries,
etc) and other code that is common to all types, but has a dependency
on pgsql. In an "ideal" world, we would have: ?

./liblwgeom
./postgis/common
./postgis/geometry
./postgis/geography
./postgis/raster
./postgis/topology
./postgis/geocoder
./docs

Or something like that. In any event with raster in the pool the need
for a separated out utility library of pgsql-dependent things goes up.

P.