[postgis-devel] Hard upgrade process rewritten, ready for test

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Dec 19 04:38:30 PST 2011

I've committed a rewrite of the HARD UPGRADE process description to
take the "quiet" path of using postgis_restore.pl.

It may take some time before it is visible online [1] but you can generate
the manual offline using "make docs" from top-level dir (the manual would
then be accessible as doc/html/postgis.html).

I guess a call-for-test for -users would best be done closer to RC so that
we have a chance to update the list of "PostGIS objects" hard-coded into
the postgis_restore.pl script, but for the time being any review of the
text and process is welcome from developers.

Mind you: today I've added another couple of bits: fixup of SRIDs in
topology.topology (-1 vs. 0) and fixup of spatial_ref_sys (dump won't
override existing entries but non-existing entries will be restored).

[1] http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/postgis_installation.html#hard_upgrade

Happy dumping and restoring !

--strk;