[postgis-devel] liblwgeom.so

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Sep 12 23:34:53 PDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:39:42PM -0600, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> > +++++20 for this.
> > Guys the way I see it, the next big change we will have is taking full
> > advantage of the foreign data wrappers
> > functionality introduced in 9.1.  This will be big for both raster and
> > postgis.  OGR/GDAL seems like the most likely avenue
> > for taking advantage of that.  That said -- our dependency on OGR/GDAL is
> > going to go from 50% to 100%
>
> FYI, I talked to Frank tonight, and he's totally open to having
> something like CleanGeometry in OGR. So that door's open if we want to
> go through it.

I've no problem moving in that direction, as long as I'll secure fundings
for the time it takes. Did you also ask about the malformed geometries ?
(single-point lines, open rings in polygons...).

Still, I don't think we should abandon the system-wide liblwgeom.
It'll make it easier to extend postgis (even just parsing canonical form).
It does make binaries smaller (2139kb to 568kb, library [945kb] excluded).