[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #2122: [raster] Real extent feature lost after metadata as views

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Dec 1 08:03:27 PST 2012

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 12:20:13AM +0000, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Blocking is a generic technique, almost equally important
> as pyramids. We can't simply ignore it.

Sorry if I ask it again (I think I didn't get an answer to that):
is padding _necessary_ to implement "blocking" ?

In other words, is it really a problem if tiles exist which are
_smaller_ than the "official" tile size ? Why do you need NODATA
values rather than just NO values at all ?

I'm probably missing something but really can't see that need.

I'm trying to understand this because having no padding at all
would solve the issue, in that the computed extent could be same
as the original extent...