[postgis-devel] Backward compability for geometry_columns

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon Jan 2 12:41:52 PST 2012

As discussed this ticket:

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1426#comment:5

I would like to add to the legacy_compatibility_layer.sql
(which would mean it will get added to legacy.sql)

A rule for pre 9.1 users against the geometry_columns view that will just
ignore any attempts to insert to the view.

For 9.1 we could make it a bit better by putting in a trigger instead that
gives a notice that its a view and what the hell are they up to.

For the delete case where people have tried to delete from geometry_columns
to clear dropped tables etc., I'm debating if there is any harm if we  just
always silently ignore.  Since the view clears itself automagically there in
theory would not be any harm in ignoring this.

Do people have thoughts on the matter, anything I missed in my assumptions?

Thanks,
Regina