[postgis-devel] Geography <-> Geometry casts

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Jan 11 07:45:29 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 07:33:23AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Yes, an implicit geography->geometry cast would be much more useful
> than the reverse. I have no recollection of the reasons why we don't
> have it, but I'm sure there's a good one.

I'd love to know about it as it seems to me a matter of numbers, as in:
"do we have more uses for one or the other ?"

In other words: how many existing functions would be implemented
by casting geography to geometry ? And how many doing the reverse ?

I gather "Geography && Geometry" is one case for geometry->geography.
ST_Intersects would be another, and so would ST_Buffer.

I wonder if GEOGRAPHY should have been just a flag on a geometry
(stuff for 3.0?).