[postgis-devel] Vote to drop support for 8.4 in 2.1

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue May 22 23:46:06 PDT 2012

Now that we are all entrenched in 2.1, I'd like to get this out of the way
so we don't have to waste time testing it anymore.

I propose we drop 8.4 support in 2.1 because:

1) 2.1 is going to have to support 9.0,9.1,9.2 (and yikes maybe even 9.3)
2) There are many changes in how plpgsql works between 8.4 and the 9.0 that
makes it difficult to cross
test - for example how aliases are handled in 9.0 -- so code that works in
8.4 may not work in 9.0

3) lack of ordered by aggs in 8.4 which I feel might be important later on
for raster and topology
4) improvements in window functionality in 9.0 missing in 8.4 (e.g. great
improvements in RANGE and intro of numbered ROWS)
which again would be useful probably more so for topology (possibly tiger
geocoder) than any other piece of PostGIS.

5) 9.1 and 9.2 will support KNN GIST, 9.2 will support SP GIST so we are
already coding exceptions.  I know we still have to for 9.0
6) PGXS - Mark's hack is needed for 8.4 but not for 9.0 etc. -- Mark can you
confirm?
7)  I think in 2.2 we'll probably be forced to drop 9.0 and dropping two
versions in one release I think is too steep of a slope for our users.

Thanks,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us