[postgis-devel] Hitting boxes (lack of) again

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Sep 11 04:19:50 PDT 2012

It just happened again: I need a box...

It is to compute the extent of a query _outside_
of the database (since the db already performs a first scan
so why performing a second one ?), so for each geometry in
the result I want to get its bounding box, which I'll parse
and expand as necessary.

Now: what's the recommended way to do that ?
ST_Envelope will give me a POLYGON, which is harder to parse
than a nice BOX.
ST_Extent is an aggregate, don't want that, want a _single_
value.

What should I do, then ? ::box2d ? ::box3d ? ::box3d_extent ?

It would be very nice to have a single view on the concept.

--strk;

 http://www.cartodb.com - Map, analyze and build applications with your data

                                       ~~ http://strk.keybit.net