[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3D - Points to be discussed

Oliver Courtin olivier.courtin at oslandia.com
Sun Feb 3 14:00:10 PST 2013

Le 1 févr. 2013 à 17:19, Sandro Santilli a écrit :

Sandro,

> On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 04:58:29PM +0100, Oliver Courtin wrote:
>
>> And even if it's not in your initial question, we don't have the feeling
>> that CGAL could be (in a near future) a way to not use GEOS anymore,
>> we are more thinking AND than OR...
>
> The SFCGAL name seemed to be that ambitious ..
> If we go AND we'll need duplicated handling of
> things like precision control and conversion functions.

There's indeed two ways do deal with that point:

  - Duplicate as you said (and as our first implementation is initially designed)

  - Build a common PostGIS to Topology lib API  (imply surely to rewrite the
    PostGIS/GEOS connectors)

The second approach could (maybe) lead to open PostGIS also to other libs
like GGL…

> It'd be nice to have less dependencies, generally.

Me too, but right now CGAL don't provide alls the features GEOS do.
(and vice versa).

O.