[postgis-devel] New GEOS + New PostGIS + Old GDAL == Trouble

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Jun 6 03:04:41 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 09:44:33AM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Every now and then, raster regression fails for me (crashes, tests failing), for what appear to be random, un-reproduceable reasons (other people's builds at the same revision work fine).
>
> I think I now know why: the common feature in all cases was updating my GEOS at some point (often-times at enough temporal distance from rebuilding my postgis that I didn't recognize it). This time I noticed though.
>
> Both PostGIS and GDAL link GEOS. If I updated my GEOS, and rebuilt PostGIS, raster would fail on me, until I also rebuilt GDAL. Basically it means that any minor update in GEOS requires a rebuild of both PostGIS and GDAL.
>
> I am hoping I've sidestepped this problem for the future by compiling GDAL --without-geos, we'll see if that works.

As long as both GDAL and PostGIS exclusively link against the C-API version
of GEOS this problem should never happen. On the other hand if they link
to both the C and the C++ libraries there may be two versions of the C++
library hanging around. Worth investigating. Does ldd (or osx equivalent)
give you double links ?