[postgis-devel] Postgis Raster JPEG 2000 (openjpeg)

Nathaniel Clay clay.nathaniel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 05:45:59 PST 2014

Remi,

JPEG 2000 offers several formats, one being JP2C or code stream. This
format breaks down the file (intended for streaming across the wire)
internally into tiles with markers then inside the tile markers packets
containing the data for the specified tile. My initial thought is to store
each of the tile packet streams in a row that is indexed in a table with in
row separation of the packets for each of the resolutions (this appears to
be able to be done with out an decode or encode for reassembly). Thus Union
and simple Clip (with out trimming) operations would be copy and modify the
header information operation back into a valid JP2C code stream to be sent
directly to the client or consuming function/application for decode. JPEG
2000 is a large specification with many subparts, I am in the process of
preparing two emails one to the list answering Bories' questions (more
general and format neutral) , and another with more specifics of my idea
for JPEG 2000, internal database format storage.  I am taking the time to
confirm the specifics as related to the JPEG 2000 specification and
postgresql.

Thanks,

Nathaniel Hunter Clay