[postgis-devel] Polyhedral Surface / Polyhedron /TINS

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jul 10 23:19:39 PDT 2014

> Regina,

>> I think this is a question for you or Vincent Mora.
>>
>> I recall you saying there is a bit in the PolyhedralSurface of PostGIS
>> that denotes if it represents a volume (Polyhedron).  Is that true or
>> was I mistaken.

> Yes there's a SOLID bit, meaning that the surface is closed, and so
enclose a volume.

Do we have a function for setting that bit or is it simply computed it if
determines the surface is closed?
I can see cases where people would have a closed surfce but would not want
it treated as a volume. (similar to closed linestring / polygon)

Vincent sent me a link to the OGC specs --
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/sfa

Version 1.2.1 I see they do indeed have Polyhedron WKT on LXI (p. 61)

Polyhedron Z
(
((0 0 0, 0 0 1, 0 1 1, 0 1 0, 0 0 0)),
((0 0 0, 0 1 0, 1 1 0, 1 0 0, 0 0 0)),
((0 0 0, 1 0 0, 1 0 1, 0 0 1, 0 0 0)),
((1 1 0, 1 1 1, 1 0 1, 1 0 0, 1 1 0)),
((0 1 0, 0 1 1, 1 1 1, 1 1 0, 0 1 0)),
((0 0 1, 1 0 1, 1 1 1, 0 1 1. 0 0 1))
)

Though oddly on  p (63)

Where they give the Integer codes for geometric types, the PolyHedron seen
earlier seems to be mysteriously not present.
Which makes me wonder if the earlier WKT was a mistake or the rest of the
doc was not updted to reflect this new type.

I ask because Leo was asking why we don't have a Polyhedron type.

Thanks,
Regina