[postgis-devel] Transifex, translation and branches

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Oct 21 07:58:13 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:13:25AM -0200, George Silva wrote:
> Hello everyone, sorry for the delay. The long weekend kept me from logging
> in.
>
> The rule originates on transifex itself. It looks like once a day Transifex
> pulls the new content. By looking at the messages it generates, it seems
> that they blindly update the resouce, overwriting. I was really careful
> when updating the URLs (the second time, raw content) because it looked for
> me that a changed file (wrong URL, for instance) would erase all the
> translations.

The command line pusher (make push-tx under doc/ at the moment) seems
smarter in that it pushes blocks that are translated locally without
overriding blocks that are NOT translated locally.

I hadn't checked what happens when you have blocks translated on both
sides. As a policy, I'd recommend always pulling before pushing, as
local changes are easier to keep under version (with git, at least).

> I don't think there is a better way of configurating transifex, as it looks
> only for one branch and it's update algorithm it's real simple.

I guess there could be different names for different branches
(postgis for trunk, postgis-2.1 for 2.1 branch etc.)

> Regarding the fuzzy keyword, I'm not sure about this. I'll review a few
> sections translated and see if the changes affected anything.

I've found out that the "fuzzy" sections are used by transifex to
implement "suggestions". The block in which the original text changed
is marked as "untranslated" and the old translation is proposed as
"suggestion".

--strk;