[postgis-devel] getPoint_internal and alignment

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Sep 18 09:55:33 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 09:37:36AM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Yes, kind of discouraged, I thinkā€¦ you have to be pretty sure you feel good about the lifecycle of the memory underlying the lwgeom before you start altering it in place, IMO. You have a use case for this? (I guess affine transforms, reprojection)

Mostly vertex reduction of monster geometries. But yes, I think to remember
something about possibly messing up when PG_DETOAST_DATUM does not return
a copy, and thus you ending up with a pointer to an object which is shared
among different functions...

I guess in that case the postgis side of things would need to check that
before using any mutator liblwgeom function.