[postgis-devel] parallel build bug (in 2.1.8)

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jul 7 15:49:48 PDT 2015

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 02:25:27PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> In the pkgsrc build, make is invoked as "all docs" to build everything.
>> Without -j, it works fine.  With -j, deep down in docs, there is a rule
>> to build liblwgeom.a, which collides with the build from the all target.
>>
>> The following patches a dependency from docs to all, and also remove the
>> reach-back rule.  They appear to fix doing parallel builds.  If it
>> isn't appropriate to force all from docs, then arguably liblwgeom should
>> be split out and both all and docs depend on that.
>
> +1 for splitting out liblwgeom. It's its natural path anyway.
>
>> Does building with -j8 work for other people?
>
> It never worked for me. I was impressed by automake when I saw
> how many things it can get right which I couldn't :)

It turns out that I was running each gmake sub-invocation without -j,
because of "jobserver unavailable" as explained
  https://www.mail-archive.com/distcc@lists.samba.org/msg01900.html
and when I actually run with -j8 there are more problems.

Perhaps moving to automake is in order; I agree that it tends to get
stuff like this right.