[postgis-devel] binary packages for dev snapshots

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Jun 3 12:54:42 PDT 2015

Hi Sebastiaan,

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 09:33:45PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 06/03/2015 09:17 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > Packagers: how would you feel about integrating packaging scripts into the
> > PostGIS source tree to make it easier to automate generation of packages ?
>
> I strongly discourage including distribution packaging in the upstream
> sources. Upstreams generally lack the experience to properly maintain
> distribution packaging, thereby increasing the burden to the package
> maintainer who have to deal with the fallout of packaging issues.

I wasn't suggesting to maintain them ourself. Rather, offer the
existing maintainers hosting of their scripts. If it's more an hassle
than an advantage, then there's no point in it.

It would still be useful to have a way to autonomously produce packages
from a dev snapshot. What would it be the easiest way to get there ?
Are you a PostGIS packager ? If so, how do you maintain your packaging
scripts ?

An alternative could maybe be to have a listing of official PostGIS
packaging scripts repositories ?

> If you cannot be persuaded to keep the debian directory out of the
> PostGIS sources, please don't include it in the release tarballs and
> keep it only in the VCS.

Uhm, do we have a debian directory ? Looking for it I actually found
an extra/rpm directory, but no debian one. I agree they should not
be in the tarball (and I see the rpm one ends up there, instead).