[postgis-devel] binary packages for dev snapshots

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 3 13:10:33 PDT 2015

On 06/03/2015 09:54 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> Hi Sebastiaan,
>
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 09:33:45PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 06/03/2015 09:17 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>>> Packagers: how would you feel about integrating packaging scripts into the
>>> PostGIS source tree to make it easier to automate generation of packages ?
>>
>> I strongly discourage including distribution packaging in the upstream
>> sources. Upstreams generally lack the experience to properly maintain
>> distribution packaging, thereby increasing the burden to the package
>> maintainer who have to deal with the fallout of packaging issues.
>
> I wasn't suggesting to maintain them ourself. Rather, offer the
> existing maintainers hosting of their scripts. If it's more an hassle
> than an advantage, then there's no point in it.

It depends on the perspective, it's more hassle for the distribution
packages but generally an advantage to the upstream developers.

> It would still be useful to have a way to autonomously produce packages
> from a dev snapshot. What would it be the easiest way to get there ?
> Are you a PostGIS packager ? If so, how do you maintain your packaging
> scripts ?

I co-maintain the postgis package for Debian together with Markus
Wanner. We maintain our packaging in the Debian GIS team git repo:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/postgis.git/

> An alternative could maybe be to have a listing of official PostGIS
> packaging scripts repositories ?

Keeping track of your downstreams makes sense.

>> If you cannot be persuaded to keep the debian directory out of the
>> PostGIS sources, please don't include it in the release tarballs and
>> keep it only in the VCS.
>
> Uhm, do we have a debian directory ? Looking for it I actually found
> an extra/rpm directory, but no debian one. I agree they should not
> be in the tarball (and I see the rpm one ends up there, instead).

The debian packaging is not included in the postgis sources, and I'd
like to keep it that way. :-)

Kind Regards,

Bas

--