[postgis-devel] POINT EMPTY in database dumps (EWKB)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Mar 17 11:44:18 PDT 2015

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3031

I didn’t anticipate this *particular* problem when hacking the POINT EMPTY solution (which is to emit MULTIPOINT EMPTY (really, a WKB multipoint with zero members)).

The only solution I can see would be to add an arbitrary additional WKB type number for the extended WKB format and use that exclusively to handling POINT EMPTY. That would allow dump/restore to work. For anyone who is requesting extended WKB and consuming it though, it would be a breaking change as this (surprise!) new WKB type number shows up in the stream.

Thoughts?

http://postgis.net
http://cleverelephant.ca