[postgis-devel] Fastest fix in town

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Sat May 30 15:42:42 PDT 2015

I thought I sent a note about it last week. But it showed that I had
replied to a ticked message so I had it in return.

Last weekend I was struggling to get knn with recheck to work in
PostgreSQL 9.5. I wanted to have it work since I was about to give a
PostGIS talk on Tuesday, the 26:th. But the function gave wrong answers.
I sent a message to this list.

Regina helped, distilling out a case showing that the problem was on
PostgreSQL side of the fence. And she posted a bug-report at PostgreSQL
list. 6 hours later the bug was fixed by Heikki Linnakangas.

I just have to say thank you. Both to Regina and Heikki. This can only
happen in open source.

I showed the new functionality, knn with recheck in Stockholm last
Tuesday. I found the closest road among 1.7 million to each of 628
tourist huts in less than 100 ms.

So also a thank you to Paul for making it possible.

So here is the difference between open source software and others when
you bump into a bug:

In open source software:
1)	Bang your head into a wall
2)	Do something about it (or kindly ask someone else to do something
about it)

In closed source:
1)	Bang your head into a wall
2)	Repeat from step 1