[postgis-devel] liblwgeom symbols exported by postgis module

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Oct 1 12:27:49 PDT 2015

> I presume you don't exclude your latest version lineage for getting fixed,
and only fix the older lineages? If you do, you have bigger problems that
this SONAME discussion.

No but we can't be guaranteed that just because someone upgrades their 2.1.8
to 2.1.9 when they already have 2.2.0 installed they expect to get 2.1.9
(not their same old 2.2.0 )
And if they happened to have one version of PostGIS on PostgreSQL 9.3 and
another on 9.4  etc. and have both -- well all theoretical to you, but very
REAL issues to me.

> This discussion is giving me the impression that we're wasting a lot of
time with hypothetical cases with no basis in reality. I have spent too much
time on this thread already for sure without making any progress.

Bas, I'm getting a little tired of this too.   I think we just got to
include the liblwgeom version in  our postgis_full_version() output to catch
when people complain about these issues.

Debian seems to expect that having multiple PostGIS/PostgreSQL versions is a
theoretical only scenario where as in Windows and I think possibly other
distributions, it's a very real common occurrence.

Thanks,
Regina