[postgis-devel] 2.2.0 feature compatibility

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Oct 8 05:17:48 PDT 2015

Hi Devrim,

On October 8, 2015 at 3:35:04 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ (devrim at gunduz.org) wrote:

* I read that some features are only supported in 9.5+, but, for
example, can we use 2.2.0 against 9.4 (or 9.3)?
Yes, can use against older versions, the relevant features will just be #ifdef’ed out

* What about the backwards compatibility? Is the upgrade path clean
from 2.0 to 2.2, or should I push 2.2.0 only for people who uses 2.1.X?
I noticed that some signatures have been deprecated. What about the
breaking ones?
I guess off the extensions alone there’s backwards compatibility changes as some old sigs go away, etc, but the legacy.sql file should always include the old sigs.

I did test upgrade from 2.0 direct to 2.2 and it seemed to work fine.

ATB,

http://postgis.net
http://cleverelephant.ca