[postgis-devel] 2.2.0 feature compatibility

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Oct 8 15:19:02 PDT 2015

Devrim,

I think your questions got lost in the ABI discussion storm.  So hope this
helps answer them.  I apologize if someone already answered.

> So, I have 2 questions regarding the RPM packaging of 2.2.0:

> * I read that some features are only supported in 9.5+, but, for
> example, can we use 2.2.0 against 9.4 (or 9.3)?
Yes 2.2.0 is supported for 9.1-9.5, but 9.5 is the only one that gets true
KNN distance behavior.  Other versions are just bounding box distance as
before.

> * What about the backwards compatibility? Is the upgrade path clean
> from 2.0 to 2.2, or should I push 2.2.0 only for people who uses 2.1.X?

Yes this should be clean, soft upgrade path, no need to dump reload

Just an

ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;

Should do the trick.

> I noticed that some signatures have been deprecated. What about the
breaking ones?

There are no breaking ones between 2.0-2.2 to my knowledge at this point.
Just deprecated.

Someone correct me if I have misspoken.  I think strk was adding the
deprecation warnings, so he'd have more of a clue than I do.

--
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Thank you :)

Regina