[postgis-devel] is PostGIS ready for git ?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Oct 13 21:00:42 PDT 2015

I disagree to some extent.  A large number of our trac tickets are bug reports not git pull patches.  I still don't see it as a big deal to keep both.

I also have an issue with github generating release tar balls – can we turn that off?  https://github.com/postgis/postgis/releases  they are not the same as our release tar balls we generate ourselves as it's just a zip of the repo and doesn't use our make_dist logic

So requires bison among other things.

To Mike Toews:

> The filtering thing might be just my ineptness with github.  So may not be a super major concern.

Labelling and filtering issues in both GitHub and GitLab is pretty good:

> https://help.github.com/articles/using-search-to-filter-issues-and-pull-requests/

I saw that and got turned off.  I guess I'm too attached to my trac gui – I don't want to have to read a manual to figure out how to filter tickets that belong to me or for a specific milestone or a with search phrases etc.  I guess that's why I'm still on windows :)

So my ideal world

1)      Have github and ideally the hashes of github are just git and compatible so if we don't like github or github becomes evil we can move off.

2)      Keep trac but make the rwhatever be git

3)      Have pull requests via github, but put in bold letters – all bug reports go in trac – and you should have a ticket in trac to go with your pull.  Hey if people want to give us code, they've got to be willing to do some work.

Most patch committers thus far have been doing that anyway.

We can always move off of trac later, but I figure switching between gitlab / github (especially if the hash keys can be maintained) is easier than having to get off of github's ticket tracker if we discover it's too imperfect. Not to mention migrating tickets to it.

I know what Paul is thinking

"Big Benefit: We start off with 0 tickets"

Thanks,

Regina