[postgis-devel] repository hosting

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Oct 16 05:28:51 PDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 01:59:19PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 16-10-15 13:38, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > Thanks for your thoughts, and sorry for confusing you with some other
> > packager (maybe it was debian packagers). I think it would be nice
> > to have a PACKAGERS file in the repo with reference of who packages
> > PostGIS for which system, very useful reference, it'd be (although I
> > guess it'd be easy for it to end up out-of-sync).
>
> While it's good to know who packages your software, I don't think a
> PACKAGERS file with it's tendency to become outdated is a good solution.
> The package tracking systems of the distributions tend to list the
> maintainers already, knowing where to find those is probably more helpful.
>
> I also don't want to listed as the package maintainer in the postgis
> upstream sources because postgis.net/install spreads false information
> ("The DebianGIS project has built PostGIS in the past, but is currently
> not very up-to-date.").

Ouch! Webpages can obviously also become outdated...
I guess a section in that page with links to info about
packages for different operating systems would be much better.

Did you know postgis website was under SVN too ?
It'd be great to receive a patch for that page:
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/browser/web/_content/pages/install.html