[postgis-devel] Creation of standard set of geometries for testing? Interested?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:56:48 PDT 2015

Hi PostGIS crew,

I've been looking at building up QGIS' library of unit tests against
its geometry engine, and as part of this I need a whole collection of
reference geometries along with their expected
area/length/perimeter/num geometries/num rings/num nodes/etc...

I initially started by copying a lot of geometries from
regress/measures.sql, regress/regress.sql and regress/tickets.sql than
added a bunch of geometries from existing QGIS tests plus some missing
geometry types to build up this list:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/tests/testdata/geom_data.csv

Now, I'm thinking this might be a good sub-project which we could
share (possibly other projects like GEOS and turf may also be
interested). I'd definitely find it useful to have one master set full
of a large variety of possible geometries and the expected values for
these, which could be built up over time to cover more and more corner
cases/oddities.

So my questions are:
1. Would PostGIS devs find this useful? Are you interested in being
involved with this?
2. Would there be any licensing issue with using the geometry from the
PostGIS tests in a public-domain reference data set? (I'm thinking
public domain would be the best license for this dataset)

Nyall