[postgis-devel] Creation of standard set of geometries for testing? Interested?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Oct 21 06:30:42 PDT 2015

Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> writes:

>> 2. Hadn't really thought of our tests licensing.  Technically they
>> are all GPL like the rest of our code base, but it seems silly to me
>> not to have those public domain.
>> Though I'm not sure what kind of headache we'd have changing the license on those.
>
> Yeah... I'm not sure either. I'm not even sure if there'd be issues
> copying arbitrary geometries such as these and changing the license.
> But then, I'm not a copyright lawyer ;) Maybe we could make a derived
> set by slightly altering the existing geometries (such as adding 1 to
> all the coordinates)... would that help?

No, that will not help.

It could be that they aren't sufficiently creative to merit copyright,
in which case they already are public domain.  I doubt this, though;
generating test sets requires thought.

Or, if they are copyrighted, and you want to use them other than under
the GPL, you need permission from the authors/copyright holders.

If there is a test data set, though - what's the problem with GPL?  It
can be installed as a package, with inputs and outputs, and then
programs of whatever license (even gasp a proprietary licensse) can be
run on the inputs and the outputs compared.  Or is it that you already
have a big PD set and want to enhance it?