[postgis-devel] liblwgeom symbols exported by postgis

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 28 23:50:21 PDT 2015

On 29-09-15 08:18, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 05:58:55PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:
>> The ticket issue you have I thought was caused because you have a mix of
>> dynamic lining and static linking.  Which both Paul and I were vehemently
>> against.
>
> I actually think the same should also happen with an all-dynamic
> setup, unless symbols are versioned (i'd like to hear from Sebastiaan
> about this).

Well, due to the hostility expressed by Paul in particular, I don't want
to be involved in this discussion. I have enough things depressing me as
it is.

Debian will keep dynamically linking liblwgeom whether the upstream
developers agree or not. We only want to fix security issues and other
bugs in a single library, not in everything that embeds a copy (by
included a copy of the source or static linking).

I'm no expert on linking issues, so I don't have good advice for Reginas
issue. But not exporting another libraries symbols should be common
sense, GDAL exporting the lib(geo)tiff symbols when the embedded copy is
used caused all kinds of problems requiring the need to rename those
symbols for example.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--