[postgis-devel] liblwgeom symbols exported by postgis

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Sep 29 00:25:00 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 08:50:21AM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> Debian will keep dynamically linking liblwgeom whether the upstream
> developers agree or not. We only want to fix security issues and other
> bugs in a single library, not in everything that embeds a copy (by
> included a copy of the source or static linking).

Just to gather more information about this,
would it be possible to install both PostGIS 2.0 and 2.1 on the same
system via debian packages ? If so, would them be usable on the
same database (different schemas) ?

> I'm no expert on linking issues, so I don't have good advice for Reginas
> issue. But not exporting another libraries symbols should be common
> sense, GDAL exporting the lib(geo)tiff symbols when the embedded copy is
> used caused all kinds of problems requiring the need to rename those
> symbols for example.

Is this any different from mixing dynamic linkage of different SONAME'd
libraries having the same symbol names into the same binary ?