[postgis-devel] liblwgeom symbols exported by postgis module

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Sep 30 11:51:26 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 01:38:21PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> So our liblwgeom versioning should ideally follow our minor versioning as I
> had originally asked for.

> But normally liblwgeom-2.so would always be what you get with 2.2.x

With the current setup, liblwgeom.so.2 is what you get with any 2.x.x.
Shall we break the application binary interface, for example by changing
the type of an argument (think BOX2D vs. GBOX which happened with 2.0.0)
then we'll have to encode that brokage by changing soname to liblwgeom.so.3.

As long as changes are backward compatible there's no need to ever
change the SONAME. This worked for the C-API of GEOS since it was
introduced, with the single SONAME "libgeos_c.so.1" ever existed from
GEOS-2.2.0 (2005) to GEOS-3.5.0 (2015).

That said, if we want to _pretend_ we break the ABI on every Minor
release (just so not to think about it) I guess we could do that,
but what would that buy us, exactly ?